Memory Weaver


Tuesday, August 17, 2010

THE WRITERS' LEAGUE CLASSES

The Writers' League of Texas (WLT) is an organization in Austin, Texas, with its office on Congress near the capitol building.  It holds free monthly meetings with speakers and discussion, and a variety of classes on topics from how to write a novel, to how to get published, to how to set up a website.

I went to one class on setting up a website taught by a professional in the Austin community.  Although I didn't understand everything he said, the class expanded my concept of how a website is structured.  An additional benefit was I met and shared stories with several people in the class.  One woman who was in a band in the 60's/70's while attending UT told me several hilarious stories.  She encouraged me to come to the next free monthly meeting.  The WLT office is small, so the class size is small; we sit close together, encouraging conversations.  There is a nominal yearly fee to join ($45/yr), and members get a big discount on classes and on the annual Agents and Editors Conference in June.  Networking opportunities and new friendships are waiting to be discovered whether at a monthly meeting, a class, or the annual convention.

I am trying to decide whether to sign up for the memoir writing class or the class explaining the steps to getting published.  The memoir writing class is all day Saturday, August 21st, and the deadline to sign up is tomorrow, Wednesday, August 18th.  It is $99 for members.  Since I am writing my memoir, I will probably go with that class.

If anyone is interested in going to meetings or attending classes, let me know, and you can ride with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment